Thorne Research DiCalcium Malate 120 vcaps
A concentrated calcium supplement for individuals most at risk for calcium inadequacy*
DiCalcium Malate contains DimaCalŪ, which is optimally absorbed and is more concentrated than other calcium forms, providing more calcium per capsule.
DiCalcium Malate consists of one molecule of malic acid that is bound to two molecules of calcium, which results in a compound that is 29-percent calcium compared to calcium citrate, which is 19-percent calcium thus resulting in more elemental calcium per capsule.
Those individuals most at risk for inadequate calcium intake are:
- Peri-menopausal and post-menopausal women
- Women with irregular menstruation, particularly women in which this is due to prolonged athletic activity or strenuous military service
- Individuals on a dairy-free diet
- Vegetarians and vegans, because their diets are higher in plant-derived phytates and oxalates that inhibit calcium absorption
- Pregnant women, particularly women with a history of gestational hypertension
- Individuals on prescription and OTC medications such as antacids (H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors) that can inhibit absorption, or glucocorticoids such as prednisone that can increase calcium loss
- Individuals with a vitamin D deficiency because vitamin D is necessary for calcium absorption